Well, this is something that was easier than I expected. Making cheese from scratch only takes about thirty minutes.
Gather: cheesecloth, colander, whole milk (not ultra pasteurized), vinegar, kosher salt.
- Put milk in large stainless steel pot
- For every gallon of milk get 1/2 cup vinegar ready
- When the milk starts to get really warm, before it boils, add the vinegar and stir
- Let the milk curdle and set, removing it from the heat
- Strain through the cheesecloth
- Add salt
- Wrap and tighten the cheesecloth around the cheese ball
- Let it hang in a colander
And there you have it. Ricotta.
Even though I was using the recipe from the book Wild Fermentation, this blog post is just as easy, but mentions proportions and mentions we can use it as paneer also: http://foodworthy.wordpress.com/2009/01/03/homemade-paneer/